Friday, April 15, 2011

A Walk Around 18th Century Scotland

I spent a week or so reading the third installment of Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series called "Voyager".

The books chronicle the life of Claire Randall/Fraser, a WWII nurse who accidentally travels back in time to 18th century Scotland. She falls in love with a Highlander named James Fraser who, as history would like her to believe, gets slaughtered at Culloden battling the English for Charles Stuart - the "Young Pretender". Right before the battle, he sends her back to the 1940's, pregnant with his child.

Twenty years later she learns that he did, in fact, survive the battle. She then must decide whether or not she will leave their daughter in 1968 and go back to 18th century Scotland to be with him.

Since January, I have been doing some light research into my family tree and have traced one branch back to the mid to late 18th century Scotland. The books have given me a flavor for what life was like at the time; somewhat a history lesson without me wanting to poke myself in the eye out of boredom. They have also left me wanting to know more.

You can visit the Culloden home page at http://www.nts.org.uk/culloden/ for more information on the battle.

Research with joy  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment