Thursday, September 8, 2011

There's Something in the Wall...

Last night I had a delightful encounter with my bed, pillow and blanket. The window was open, which, after a summer of heat advisories, no air conditioning and a fan with a mind of it's own, was so relaxing.

And then I heard the scratching on the wall.

At first I tried to ignore it. I was tired and comfortable. I wanted to sleep, not to go hunt for whatever was annoying me.

I thought it could have been something on my desk too close to the wall. It was a little windy. Maybe it was papers brushing and the sound was just magnified times a million. 

So of course, getting irritated, I hopped up, moved the items in question, and went back to bed.

You know that state of rest when you are half asleep yest still awake enough to process ANNOYING NOISES THAT KEEP YOU UP? Yeah, I'm familiar with that too.

I have a habit of freaking myself out over things that go bump in the night when I am in that state. And I have been writing Book Two. People drop dead. I had left my characters in the morgue doing their thing when I went to bed. Such a bad idea. I keep telling myself I'm going to stop doing that. I tell myself that I am going to read a book for the hour leading up to bedtime and leave someone elses characters in the morgue doing their thing.

That is yet to happen.

Anyway, the scratching continued and my mind was in over drive. Mice? We have a cat who keeps those out. Giant spiders? I think the dog would take an issue. A banshee? We're so not in Ireland. Probably a killer outside scratching at the window, trying to draw me outside. I'm on the third floor. In daylight that seems highly unlikely. In semi-sleep mode, however...

So what do I do? I get up, change so I look presentable when I meet my untimely demise, and go to investigate. (Yup - I am one of the idiots in a horror flick that I yell at for doing something just as stupid.)

I wonder if I should get a flashlight and if my teeth are clean enough. Should I stop and brush them on the way?

All this and I never made it outside. The dog was on my sons bed in the room right next to mine and in her sleep she was running. Her nails were scraping along the walls.

I moved her over and rubbed her head, then went back to bed, stopping to brush my teeth again.

Let's never speak of this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment