Monday, October 10, 2011

Grateful List

A friend of mine, we'll call him Puck, posts daily on his Facebook page a quick, five item list of what he is grateful for when he wakes up in the morning.

Christine Kane (a mentor to women whose thoughts on combating procrastination appear here and whose blog appears here) believes in the power of grateful lists. You get up in the morning and come up with a short list of all the things you are grateful for before you roll out of bed to start your day.

I have been in using this practice for a few months and I find that the more I do it, the easier it becomes, and the less grouchy I am before my first cup of coffee (only the dogs are up when I get out of bed, so I guess it's not THAT big a deal...)

They don't have to be different from day to day, and they don't have to be thought provoking. A list for me has been along these lines:

  • The entertainment value of the Toronto Maple Leafs game the other night;
  • Having the support of friends as I prepare my life and mind for a major shift in priorities;
  • Being invited to my parent's house for Thanksgiving dinner;
  • Writing a unit test on quadratic transformations in twenty-five minutes; and
  • My mini-me and the blessing of helping him on his journeys of discovery.
I think in this day - and with the stress of the holidays right around the corner - the minute is well spent on building up and choosing the right way to start the day.

What are you grateful for?

I wish you all a happy and safe Canuck Thanksgiving!

Follow me on Facebook or Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment