Thursday, October 20, 2011

I am my own Worst Enemy

These days I find myself in a productivity rut.
What this means -- for me -- is that I am producing the bare minimum (or nothing at all).

I wanted to blame exhaustion. I wanted to use the fact that I haven't replaced my desk (which fell apart at the beginning of August) and therefore I am forced to do all my work in the heart of the home -- you got it, the kitchen table. I live with kids, dogs and (jinkies!) other humans. None of the above appreciate the value of the phrase "Shhh!I'm in mid-sentence" as much as I do.

Occasionally I will allow my sister the privilege of reading what I have. I make sure that I stop in mid-sentence. It annoys her to no end. My job is thus complete.

Anyway, back to the productivity rut. Some days I just don't have the energy to rouse and take the dog running at stupid o'clock in the morning and then sit and assemble words into sentences until I leave at 7.

It is too much like work to roll out of bed before 5:15 and it is much too pathetic to go to bed before 9 at night.

So instead I get half of what I need to done between 4 and 10. Then I force myself to get up early-ish the next morning so I can drink obscene amounts of coffee and will the gap between my brain and spine to close.

And the To-Do list gets longer and longer.

With my niece's leg freshly broken, and with it being rainy season, and with the sun refusing to align with the fifth moon of Venus, I have no choice but to replace/repair my desk and move back to the confines of my self-imposed dungeon.

By this time next week I will have stood up and kicked my un-productivity in the balls. (And maybe caught up on a lot of sleep as well!)

Does anyone else struggle with procrastination?

2 comments:

  1. can't believe I hadn't followed before. I guess I just assumed I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the follow, Joanna ;)

    ReplyDelete