Sunday, January 20, 2013

#SixSunday - Desolation - Episode 25: How Do I Tell You...

Good morning my lovelies.

This week sees Andie trying to figure out how best to answer a question about death. Given her area of expertise, one would think it would be easy...

~

I was stalling. Not because I didn't have the answer, but because I didn't have the words. How does one explain to a child - a child barely out of diapers - that their entire world had been ripped apart because of one selfish act?

I thought back to my mom's best friend, murdered by her estranged husband in the prime of her life, and wondered how the news had been broken to the children - the babies - left behind.

It was never a good time to ask my mother about events of her past. I sighed, sat down on the toilet, and pulled out my cell phone.

~

My exams are right around the corner, but before I hit the books, I'm going to be heading here with my coffee.

Have an excellent Sunday!

KSJ

8 comments:

  1. Regardless of the eloquence of an erudite explanation, can a child that young understand?
    Nice six. Shows real frustration for mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so either, Frank...

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. OK, I've done this, had to explain to my 3 and 5 year old when their father was killed and it is the hardest thing I have EVER done in my entire life. Or ever will do. (A long time ago now...) Best wishes on the novel, some difficult scenes coming up no doubt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... That's terrible, Veronica :( I'm so sorry to hear that.

      Delete
  3. Heartbreaking six... very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tricky moment, but an excellent six.

    ReplyDelete