Saturday, January 3, 2015

#8Sunday - Desolation - Episode 28: Not The Time To Panic



Good morning!

Welcome back to another Sunday of Weekend Writing Warriors and another eight sentences from my WIP "Desolation".

For those of you new to this, head on over to wewriwa for the guidelines and for links to the works of the very talented writers participating this week.


Background:  Andie has been taken to the fracture clinic at the hospital by James (her husband) to have her cast removed. It's the middle of the night and the cast is covered in blood, making it evidence in the investigation of her friends murder. In this snippet, she's just started having one of the anxiety attacks that have plagued her since she stumbled across her dead friend after spending way too much time thinking about the most likely suspect.

~

The air had thickened and the room had started closing in on me.

I could picture the son of a bitch in my mind's eye -- cackling like Macbeth's witches as he dealt away chunks of his soul in exchange for handfuls of mine.

The next thing I knew I was being pulled off the floor and lifted onto a gurney.

"I'm fine," I tried to tell them, as nurses scrambled to get an oxygen mask over my face.

"I'm fine," I repeated. My words weren't just falling on deaf ears, they didn't seem to be falling out of my mouth at all.

I could hear James giving out my private information as though he was running an auction. Surely it didn't translate nearly as badly as it sounded.

~

And there we have it. Thoughts? Your feedback is welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

See you next week,

Keeley

3 comments:

  1. That's a scary, tense situation to be in. That only makes the experience of going to a hospital and having a cast even more traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A scary situation but great snippet. The first line definitely set the tone and follow through. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a scene fraught with tension and the anxiety attack was well described. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete